WASHINGTON (AP) — Sudan’s warring factions have agreed to a new short-term ceasefire, U.S. and Saudi mediators announced Saturday, after previous attempts to negotiate a truce that has failed failed.
Meeting in the Saudi port city of Jeddah, the Sudanese military and Rapid Support Forces signed a seven-day ceasefire that will take effect Monday at 9:45 p.m. local time in Sudan, the United States and Saudi Arabia said in a release. joint declaration. The ceasefire could be extended if both parties agree.
“Both sides have conveyed to the Saudi and American facilitators their commitment not to seek military advantage during the 48-hour notice period after signing the agreement and before the start of the ceasefire,” it said.
Talks in Jeddah had previously produced an agreement between the two parties to protect civilians and facilitate the flow of humanitarian assistance to those affected by the conflict. However, previous ceasefire agreements fell through amid allegations of violations by both.
“It is well known that the parties have previously announced ceasefires that have not been observed,” the US-Saudi statement said.
“Unlike previous ceasefires, the Agreement reached in Jeddah was signed by the parties and will be supported by a US-, Saudi-, and internationally-supported ceasefire monitoring mechanism.”
The Oversight and Coordination Committee will be comprised of three representatives each from the US and Saudi Arabia and three representatives from each party.