Cyber Monday, the shopping event that follows Black Friday, is tomorrow, and many sales at retailers like Target, Walmart and Amazon will continue for the week or longer. There are so many extended sales going on that the month is known as “Black November,” according to experts.
SKIP AHEAD Cyber Monday 2021 Best Sellers | Is Cyber Monday a thing? | What is Cyber Week? | How to Prepare for Cyber Monday
So are Cyber Monday sales unique or worth taking advantage of? Select spoke with experts on how to approach the event and how it compares to Black Friday.
What to buy and what to skip on Cyber Monday
Cyber Monday started out as a day of tech deals, said Kristin McGrath, senior editor at RetailMeNot. And while almost all types of electronics are on sale during Cyber Monday, including small kitchen appliances, smart home products, audio equipment, and gaming systems, now those deals start on or before Black Friday. Thus, Cyber Monday has become a “day to grab all the deals,” McGrath said, with a little bit of everything on sale.
Some of the best Black Friday and Cyber Monday deals are traditionally found in certain products: in 2021, electronics, computers, home appliances, sporting goods, and toys saw the stronger discounts, according to Adobe Analytics. It’s also likely to see strong sales in housewares and beauty products, Adobe Analytics data showed. And while there may be some completely new deals on Cyber Monday, like a unique video game bundle or specific TV, PC or laptop models, there won’t be that many to choose from. Some brands try to make their Cyber Monday discounts stand out by offering an extra 10% off via promo codes or may lower their threshold for free shipping; maybe you needed to spend $100 to get free shipping on Black Friday but only $75 Monday.
What should you expect to buy? You’re likely to get better deals on major appliances, mattresses and furniture on holidays like President’s Day, Memorial Day and Labor Day, experts told us.
Cyber Monday 2021 Best Sellers
To give you an idea of the products you’ll see on sale during Cyber Monday, here are some of the best sellers of 2021, according to adobe data. These products were some of the most sought after, so if you’re interested this year, grab them before they’re gone. We’re also highlighting select Cyber Monday 2021 reader-favorite products here.
Apple products are often discounted during sales events like Black Friday and Cyber Monday, and AirPods, apple watches Y apple pencils they were all the best sellers on Cyber Monday 2021. The first generation of AirPods Pro offer active noise cancellation and transparency modes, and come with silicone tips in three sizes to customize the fit. A MagSafe charging case is included with these AirPods. The second generation Airpods Pro are also currently on sale for $199 down from $249.
Nintendo Switch and Nintendo Switch Lite were top sellers on Cyber Monday 2021, as were other gaming systems like Xbox Series X and Meta Quest 2. You can play the portable Nintendo Switch on the go or slide it into the included dock and connect it to a TV. The device also comes with two Joy-Con controllers for multiplayer gaming.
Video games make great holiday gifts and some of the most popular ones purchased by buyers last year included Just Dance 2022, Mario Party Superstars, Spider Man: Miles Morales, FIFA 22, and Metroid Dread.
One of the best times for toy deals, in 2021 some of the most popular toys were Hot Wheels, Nerf toys, Baby Alive, Paw Patrol, Squeakee toys, and Tamagotchi Pix. The Hot Wheels Color Shifters set comes with five mini vehicles that change color when dunked in warm water. A bath in cold water restores their original tone.
Buyers added laptops from brands like lenovoDell and HP to your Cyber Monday carts in 2021. This Lenovo Chromebook has a slim profile and a 360-degree hinge that lets you use it as a computer or tablet. It’s designed with an 11-inch touchscreen and a 720-pixel webcam, the brand says, and it has a 10-hour battery life, making it ideal for travel.
sony and samsung were two of the most popular TV brands during Cyber Monday last year, Adobe says. This Sony model has an X1 4K HDR processor for a fluid, clear and vibrant image, according to the brand. The TV also works with a variety of streaming services and Amazon Alexa once paired with compatible devices.
Is Cyber Monday a thing?
Because the line between Black Friday and Cyber Monday has blurred over the years, and because the deals now start so early, many shoppers wonder, is Cyber Monday still a “stuff”?
The experts unanimously agreed that yes, Cyber Monday still exists. In fact, it’s historically the biggest day for online shopping every year, and Cyber Monday 2020 was the biggest day for online shopping in US history. shopping on Black Friday get another chance on Cyber Monday, and many see Cyber Monday as their last chance to score the best discounts of the year. “A sense of urgency kicks in,” said Vivek Pandya, principal analyst at Adobe Digital Literacy. This incentivizes people to make purchases and finish checking off everything on their lists before Tuesday rolls around.
What is Cyber Week?
“Cyber Week” refers to the rest of the week after Cyber Monday, which is filled with sales and deals from online retailers. Consumers are more likely to buy early than late, experts said, but retailers allow sales to drag on to capitalize on last-minute shoppers.
Is Cyber Monday the same as Black Friday?
Originally, Black Friday was for in-person shopping and Cyber Monday was for online shopping, which meant that different products were on sale at different retailers. Not anymore: “We’ve been seeing Cyber Monday offer a lot of repeat Black Friday deals,” Pandya said. “We’ve seen a couple of cases where a Cyber Monday deal was slightly different or slightly better compared to Black Friday. But in the grand scheme of things, it’s pretty much the same thing.”
Do prices drop on Cyber Monday?
When Black Friday and Cyber Monday early bird deals go live in mid-October or November, discounts typically range from 5% to 15%, Pandya said. But the deals get deeper as Thanksgiving weekend approaches. Pandya said you’ll get the best discounts on Thanksgiving week, and you’re likely to see products 30-50% off. Between Black Friday and Cyber Monday, prices probably won’t drop significantly; whatever the Black Friday sale is, it will usually last until Cyber Monday. After Cyber Monday, any deal that stands is weak, Pandya said.
How to make the most of your Cyber Monday shopping
Here are tips experts recommend keeping in mind while shopping for Cyber Monday deals to ensure you save the most money during the event.
- Stick to a shopping list. This allows you to prioritize the products you’re looking for and can help you avoid impulse purchases, especially if you want to shop within a set budget.
- Consider brands you may not be familiar with. If you’re not a brand loyalist, the experts suggested finding a handful of models that meet your qualifications and shopping around before adding one to your cart. If you don’t stick to just the brands you’re familiar with, you’ll have a wider variety of offerings to choose from.
- Weigh different payment options. Some Credit cards offer cash back and reward points at specific retailers, for example, purchases at Amazon either walmart with their specific credit cards they give you a certain amount back each time you shop if you are an Amazon Prime or Walmart+ member. Credit cards may even offer additional promotions during the holiday shopping season. Select CNBCMoney experts at will keep you updated on promotions as they are announced. Also, if you’re looking for ways to finance a larger purchase, buy now pay later apps may be of interest.
- Use price trackers and browser extensions. Some, like Honey and Cently, can automatically apply coupon codes to your cart at checkout. Other tools like PriceBlink let you compare prices across multiple retailers, and others, including Amazon Assistant and the Karma browser extension, monitor prices and alert you when products you’re interested in go down.
- Research retailers’ price match guarantee policies. Some will match lower prices at another retailer. But read the fine print for exceptions. Some retailers only match certain competitors’ prices, for example, while others don’t match Cyber Monday prices.
- Pay attention to return policies. Retailers’ standard return policies may not apply to purchases made during Black Friday and other big sale events. Make sure you know the return policies before you buy an item, especially if it’s something you’ll need to try on, like clothing or shoes.
Meet our experts
At Select, we work with experts who have specialized knowledge and authority based on relevant training and/or experience. We also take steps to ensure that all expert advice and recommendations are made independently and without undisclosed financial conflicts of interest.
- kristin mcgrath is a shopping expert and Senior Editor at The Real Deal by RetailMeNot. Her great loves are traveling, shopping and shopping on the go, which has made her a bargain hunter out of necessity. She specializes in helping shoppers make the best savings decisions and get the best deal on purchases large and small.
- vivek pandia is Adobe’s leading insight analyst providing research analysis to senior marketing and e-commerce executives across industries.